Gott Pasture Preserve
Location and Description:
Location: Wayne, Maine
Property Description: This 75-acre wooded parcel on Wilson Pond includes three vernal pools and over 1,100 feet of undeveloped shoreline. This land was farmed in the 19th century, and then was a wooded pasture and woodlot.
Directions: Directions: From Route 133 in Wayne Village, turn south on the Old Winthrop Road (0.7 mi.); turn right on Morrison Heights Road for 1.4 miles; bear left on Hardscrabble Road for 1.3 miles. Look for the KLT sign and parking lot on the left shortly after passing the George’s Road.
Usage and Trails:
Allowable uses: hiking, nature observation, hunting in season. No motorized vehicles. Due to sensitive wildlife habitat, no dogs please.
Shore Loop Trail: 1.2 mile loop, moderately steep.
Hemlock Woods Connector Trail Segment: 0.40 miles; moderate.
Parking: KLT sign and parking lot on the left shortly after passing the George’s Road. Please respect our neighbors and KLT property. Parking lot is not plowed in the winter.
In 1889, Wayne farmers Cyrus and Elizabeth Stevens transferred this property to Samuel Bishop of Wayne. Over the years the Stevens farm became known as the “Samuel Bishop Pasture”. In 1918 the heirs of Samuel Bishop conveyed the property to Clara Gott, also of Wayne. The land remained in the Gott family until 1948, and became known as the “Gott Pasture”. In 1948 Charles and Margaret Gott transferred the property to Madeline Leighton, who, in turn, sold it to Helen Ladd in 1957. The Ladds remember seeing cows in “Charlie Gott’s” pasture when it was still used as a summer wooded pasture.
The Helen and George Ladd family donated the 75-acre Gott Pasture to the Kennebec Land Trust in 2003. The Preserve is now a place to enjoy quiet walks, wildlife, and a view to the past.